Thank you for visiting our past auction result archives. If you have an item identical (or similar) to this auction lot, please call, write or contact us to discuss. We will be able to help you.

Lot # 444 (of 1137)   < Previous Lot | Next Lot >

1934 R320 Goudey Partial Set (66/96) Including Both Gehrigs

Starting Bid - $500, Sold For - $3,555

Partial set of 1934 Goudey Gum cards (66 of the 96 cards in the set), originating directly from the family of the gentleman who personally collected these cards in the year of issue! The 1934 Goudey set, also commonly referred to as the "Lou Gehrig says..." set, is one of the most popular of all 1930s bubble-gum card issues. Included are stars such as Lou Gehrig, Dizzy Dean, and Jimmy Foxx, among others, as well as the very scarce 24-card high number (#73-96) series that has always made completing this classic set especially challenging for collectors. Only three high-number cards (#78, 84, and 89) are included in this partial set. Approximately 60% of the cards within this set have small, light pencil markings on the reverse (in most cases a small number or numbers). Without reference to these markings, 85% of the set ranges in grade from Vg to Ex (averaging Vg-Ex) with the remaining 15% in lower grades (Pr to Gd). Taking the markings into account, 20% grade Vg-Ex or Ex, and 80% grade Vg or lesser (mostly due to the markings on reverse). We have submitted the two Gehrig cards to be graded by SGC. Pencil marks are noted where applicable on the key cards below. Keys: #1 Foxx (Fr), 2 Cochrane (Vg, pencil), 6 Dean (Vg-Ex), 7 Durocher (Vg-Ex, pencil), 10 Klein (Vg, pencil), 11 Waner (Vg-Ex, pencil), 13 Frisch (Gd), 18 Manush (Vg-Ex, pencil), 22 Vaughan (Gd/Vg, pencil), 27 Appling (Vg-Ex, pencil), 34 Hafey (Ex), 35 Lombardi (Vg-Ex, pencil), 37 Gehrig (SGC VG 40), 61 Gehrig (SGC GOOD 30), and 62 Greenberg (Vg+, pencil). This is a very attractive, mid-grade original-owner partial set of this classic 1930s Goudey gum-card issue, which represents a tremendous opportunity to acquire great-looking classic 1930s cards (including both 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig cards!) at a fraction of the price of equally presentable examples that do not have any technical flaws. The equivalent SMR value for just the two SGC-graded Gehrigs (and not including the sixty-fou ungraded cards) is $1,325. Total: 66 cards. Reserve $500. Estimate $1,000/$2,000. SOLD FOR $3,555

(Click the smaller thumbnails to the left and right (if any) to cycle through each photo in the gallery of images for this lot.)