Thank you for visiting our past auction result archives. If you have an item identical (or similar) to this auction lot, please call, write or contact us to discuss. We will be able to help you.

Lot # 300 (of 1673)   < Previous Lot | Next Lot >

1909 T212 Obak SGC-Graded Collection (30)

Starting Bid - $500.00 , Sold For - $2,937.50

Collection of 30 different (39% of the set) 1909 T212 Obak Cigarettes cards, each graded and encapsulated by SGC. Obaks are among the most popular of all early card issues featuring players from the Pacific Coast League. While catalogued simply as T212, Obaks were actually issued over a period of three years, from 1909 to 1911, and are really three sets. The 1909 Obak set featured players from the PCL teams. The 76-card 1909 set is the first of the three annual T212 baseball cards from Obak Cigarettes. The 1909 set cards are by far the rarest of the three Obak sets and are easily distinguished by the blue printing on their backs with an “Old English” font. 45% of the cards in the collection have back damage (mostly paper loss) and some ink marks on reverses; otherwise 70% of the fronts are bright and crisp, with vibrant colors (the other 30% have creases and surface wear). Many 1909 Obaks were obviously hand-cut at the factory and were issued exactly in this manner; these cards are encapsulated as "Authentic" due to their very slight irregular cut but are definitely not trimmed. SGC condition report: One VG 40: Baum. Three GOOD 30: Beall, Fitzgerald, Willis. Six FAIR 20: Browning, Garrett, Graham, Ort, Stoval, Tennant. Seven POOR 10: Carson, Hitt, Hogan, Howse, C. Lewis, Murphy, Wheeler. Thirteen Authentic: Brashear, Breen, Brown (borders trimmed off), Byrnes, Cameron, Delmas, Eagan, Ehman, Griffin, Howard, F. Lewis, Melchoir, Zeider. This is a large collection of these early classics that are rarely seen in high grade. This collection presents an excellent opportunity to acquire a substantial portion of the rare 1909 Obaks set. Total 30 cards. Reserve $500. Estimate $1,000+. SOLD FOR $2,937.50

(Click the smaller thumbnails to the left and right (if any) to cycle through each photo in the gallery of images for this lot.)