Thank you for visiting our past auction result archives. If you have an item identical (or similar) to this auction lot, please call, write or contact us to discuss. We will be able to help you.

Lot # 182 (of 1525)   < Previous Lot | Next Lot >

1908-1933 Tobacco, Caramel, and Assorted Collection (210)

Starting Bid - $1,000.00, Sold For - $5,800.00

Tremendous collection of early twentieth-century cards, spanning the years from 1908 to 1933, with representation of twenty-nine different sets, including many of the era's most classic issues, many rare, obscure issues, and including many stars and Hall of Famers. 47% of the collection ranges in grade from Fair to Vg, averaging Good overall. The remaining 53% of the collection (including all the T206s) have an Excellent or better appearance, but each of these cards has been rejected for grading due to a very slight trim. The trimming is very subtle, and is impossible to detect without a trained eye. While this portion of the collection will never be graded by PSA, SGC, or GAI, these cards do represent an extraordinary value for the collector who wants beautiful original ungraded examples of these classics, at a far more affordable level than graded examples with a similar appearance. This is a collection with condition problems, but which also presents beautifully and includes a tremendous variety of interesting vintage cards. These groups take a lot of work to catalog, but we think it's worth it. Many very advanced collectors started with a painstakingly catalogued collection of vintage cards such as this, purchased in a Robert Edward Auctions sale. 1) 1908 E91 American Caramel Set A: 10 cards, including Joe McGinnity. 2) 1909 E91 American Caramel Set B: nine cards. 3) 1910 E91 American Caramel Set C: Donohue, Stahl, Wilson. 4) 1909-1911 E90-1 American Caramel: nine cards, including Wallace. 5) 1910 E90-3 American Caramel: Tinker (blue). 6) 1909 E92 Croft's Cocoa: Bridwell. 7) 1909 E92 Dockman & Sons: Casey, Davis, Doyle, O'Hara. 8) 1909 E101: Schmidt and Smith. 9) 1910 E102: Knabe. 10) 1909-1910 E97 C.A. Briggs Co: Carrigan. 11) 1909 E95 Philadelphia Caramel: Krause and Wiltse. 12) 1910 E98: eight cards. 13) 1911 E94 George Close Candy: three cards, including Honus Wagner. 14) 1909-1911 T206 White Borders: 68 cards, including Bender (no trees), J. Collins, Evers (bat, Chicago), Griffith (port), Jennings (port), McGinnity. 15) 1910 E103 Williams Caramels: McLean and Rucker. 16) 1911 T205 Gold Borders: Mathewson (trimmed). 17) 1911 T201 Double Folders: Coombs/Thomas and Wallace/Lake. 18) 1910-1911 M116 Sporting Life (Pastel): Chance and Dougherty. 19) 1914 Cracker Jack: #67. 20) 1915 Cracker Jack: #131. 21) 1915 E106 American Caramel: Bridwell. 22) 1921 E121 American Caramel Series of 80: six cards, including Harry Heilman (Heilmann). 23) 1921 E121 American Caramel Series of 120: 26 cards including R. Young (Youngs), Faber, Haines, Hooper, Sewell, G. Kelly. 24) 1922 E122 American Caramel Series of 80: Daubert and Paskert. 25) 1933 Sport Kings: #9 and 30. 26) 1933 Goudey: 29 cards, including #35 Simmons, 187 Manush,and 230 Hubbell. 27) 1934 Goudey: six cards, including #23 Gehringer. 28) 1934-1936 Diamond Stars: #7, 10, 26, 45, 86, 87. 29) 1941 Play Ball: #23. This is a unique, fun, and fascinating collection with many significant highlights, which would be worth many tens of thousands of dollars in higher grades. Total 210 cards.Reserve $1,000. Estimate $2,000/$3,000. SOLD FOR $5,800.00

(Click the smaller thumbnails to the left and right (if any) to cycle through each photo in the gallery of images for this lot.)